After the success of the Sugar and Spice Rock Cakes, last week, I thought I would try some different ones. The flavour decided upon was coconut and I found a very good recipe on Hedgecombers website . It is a very straightforward recipe, and the results appear to be very good.
I haven’t tasted yet, but the coconut smell emanating from the oven during baking certainly had me salivating.
- 110g butter
- 110g sugar
- 200g plain flour
- 75g desiccated coconut
- ½ teaspoon bicarb of soda (baking soda)
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 egg
- a little brown sugar to top
- Preheat oven to 400/gas 6/200/180 fan
- Cream the butter, sugar and egg together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and, using some brute strength, mix it to a stiff consistency.
- On a greased baking sheet, pile largish mounds of the mix.
- You’ll need to push each lump together ever so slightly, but you don’t want to flatten out those rough edges.
- Lightly sprinkle with the brown sugar and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and the edges are just starting to darken.