My first day back from my holiday and I am baking again. This time is it a little invention of my own, but I came up with the idea after searching through a few recipes which are similar.
I wanted to try something like a Banoffee Cake, rather than a pie, so that it had a banana taste, with a cake texture and some caramel, but not so excessive that it is too sweet. To add another flavour and a little texture I decided to use some walnuts as well.
For the cake:
- 200 grams(7 oz) softened butter
- 200 grams (7 oz) light muscovado sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large, very ripe bananas
- 200 grams (7 oz) self raising flour
- 75 grams (3 oz) walnuts, chopped
For the topping:
- 150 grams (5 oz) softened butter
- 250 grams (9 oz) icing sugar
- 5 tbsp dulce de leche(or Carnation caramel)
- 50 grams (2 oz) walnuts, chopped
Banana Walnut Cake with Caramel Topping
- Preheat the oven to 180c(160c fan)/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease a deep 8 inch cake tin, preferably with a loose bottom.
- Line the tin with parchment paper.
- Mix the 200g of butter with the sugar, beating until light and fluffy (in a stand mixer is fine).
- Beat the 4 eggs and gradually add them to the butter/sugar mixture.
- Chop the ripe bananas and add to the mixture, beating until well blended.
- Fold in the flour and walnuts.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and level with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in the oven for 55-60 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool, in the tin for about 30 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling put the 150 g of butter,and the icing sugar into a large bowl and beat until light and fluffy. In a stand mixer is fine, but cover to ensure the sugar doesn’t escape as it is very light.
- Add the dulce de leche and mix until evenly spread throughout.
- Remove from the tin and allow to cool completely.
- Carefully and remove the parchment paper.
- Spread the frosting over the top and sides of the cake, keeping it as evenly spread as possible.
- Use the 50 grams of walnuts to sprinkle over the top(you may not need all of the 2 ounces).