I decided to try some cupcakes, using strawberries as a flavouring. Fresh strawberries, pureed for the cake mix and for the frosting too, and then some slices of strawberry on top sounded like a good idea.
It was a bit of a guess just how much puree to use in each, but with the frosting it wasn’t too difficult as adding more icing sugar would always firm it up.
In the end I decided that about 160 ml of puree for each would be about right. So that is what I used.
The mixture for the cupcakes seemed of the right consistency after mixing, so I was optimistic that they would turn out fine, and they did.
They cupcakes have a lovely strawberry flavour and the frosting is sweet and flavoursome too, so I am very pleased with the end result, apart from the piping. I didn’t have the right nozzle, and maybe had the frosting just a little too soft. But it firmed up nicely once it had been placed in the fridge for a while.
For the cupcakes:
- 160 g of fresh strawberries
- 165 g plain flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. coarse salt
- 60 ml milk
- 1 tsp.vanilla extract
- 120g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 200g granulated sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 2 medium egg whites
For the frosting:
- 80g fresh strawberries (plus more for topping)
- 240g unsalted butter,
- Pinch of salt
- 200-300g icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp.vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Pulse strawberries in a small food processor until puréed. You should have about 160ml of purée.
- In a small bowl, mix together milk, vanilla, and the strawberry purée.
- Cream butter on medium-high speed of mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add granulated sugar and continue to beat until well-combined and fluffy.
- Reduce mixer speed to medium and slowly add egg and egg whites until just blended.
- Add half flour mixture, slowly, with mixer on low; mix until just blended.
- Add milk mixture; mix until just blended.
- Add remaining flour mixture, scraping down sides of bowl with spatula, as necessary, until just blended.
- Scoop batter evenly among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, be sure to test using a toothpick to make sure they are completely done in the center.
- Transfer muffin pan to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool completely in pan before icing.
- To make the frosting purée the strawberries until smooth.
- Beat together butter and salt on medium speed of mixer until light and fluffy.
- Reduce mixer speed and slowly add sifted powdered sugar; beat until well combined. Add vanilla and 60ml cup strawberry purée, mix until just blended.