I found a recipe for a lovely sounding muffin, Apple and Cinnamon, with a streusel topping, on Allrecipes. It certainly whetted my appetite, since I love cinnamon and am a sucker for a good muffin. I did read the reviews on the site, which was very important, since some people had problems with over filling the muffin cases, and a streusel topping that was far too wet.
So with mine I only filled my cases to two thirds full and I only used half the amount of butter suggested in the topping.
What a blessing that was, as the results of the bake are just wonderful. Even during baking I got excited, as the aroma of cinnamon filled the room.
Even with my adjustsments the muffins did run down the sides a little, but nothing too distastrous.
The taste, after they had cooled down, was just wonderful, and with a nice crispy top to augment the soft, moist muffin.. I will be making these again for sure. The mixture made 8 muffins for me, though the little boxes I made are probably slightly smaller than a normal muffin case.
In the recipe below I have made adjustments, for how I did everthing. But the original recipe can be found (together with the comments of other bakers) if you click the link to Allrecipes above.
For the muffin batter:
- 190 g all-purpose flour
- 150 g white sugar
- 3 g salt
- 7 g baking powder
- 2 g ground cinnamon
- 80 ml vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 80 ml milk
- 1 apple, peeled, cored diced
- 100 g white granulated sugar
- 40 g all-purpose flour
- 60g butter, cubed
- 3 g ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Grease a muffin pan, or line with paper liners( I used some cardboard cups)
- Stir together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and cinnamon, as listed in the batter mix.
- Mix the oil, egg and milk in a separate bowl.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together, dont over mix.
- Fold in the apples.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling to about two thirds full.
- In a small bowl, stir together 1the streusel ingredients until it is line a fine crumb, with some lumps. Sprinkle over unbaked muffins.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.