Chocolate Brownies are an all time favourite, so when I saw a recipe for a cupcake version, with a buttercream topping, on Joyofbaking I just had to make some.
This is another very simple recipe, and the end results are very pleasing indeed, a moist chocolate brownie consistency, with the added pleasure of the chocolate buttercream.. I can heartily recommend these.
My tip though is to bake them in cupcake/muffin cases. I did the same as Stephanie of Joyofbaking and baked them straight in the muffin tin, having greased it, but I still had a bit of sticking when trying to take them out. So next time I will definitely use paper cases, they make things so much easier.
For the Brownie Cupcakes:
- 4 ounces (120 grams)unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsaltedbutter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/4 cup (250 grams) granulated whitesugar
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) purevanillaextract
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature (for UK medium eggs)
- 3/4 cup (95 grams) all purposeflour
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 gram) salt
- 3 ounces (90 grams) unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (120 grams) confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) pure vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) and place the oven rack in the center of the oven.
- Butter (or spray with a non stick cooking spray) or line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a stainless steel bowl (heatproof bowl) placed over a saucepan of simmering water. Then remove from heat and let cool to lukewarm.
- Whisk or stir (can also use a hand mixer) in the sugar.
- Add the vanilla and then add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Mix in the flour and salt until well blended.
- Evenly divide the batter between the muffin cups.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for about 20minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake still has moist crumbs clinging to it.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until smooth and creamy (about 1 minute).
- Add the sugar and vanilla extract and beat until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- Add the melted chocolate and beat on low speed until incorporated. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until frosting is smooth and glossy (about 2 -3 minutes).
- Once the cupcakes have completely cooled, frost with the icing. You can either spread the frosting on the cupcakes with a small spatula or if piping, using a large plain or star tip.