Apologies for not posting for the past couple of weeks, but was away on holiday. I am back from Canada, where I had a great time visiting with family. Now I am getting back onto the baking treadmill. Starting slowly at first, I decided on some muffins. Sultanas and Orange is the flavour I decided upon.
As with most muffins they are quite easy to make. This recipe should make 12 muffins, if using a muffin tin or cases. I decided to use some card cups that I bought in Ottawa. They are larger than the muffin cases, so shared the batter between nine cups only.
Topping the muffins with some orange flavoured icing adds a nice hit of sweetness as well, making these a most enjoyable treat. They are a really lovely muffin, the orange flavour, and the sultanas work well together and they are nice and moist too. I thoroughly recommend that you try to make some.
- 240g plain flour
- 114g sultanas
- 113g unsalted butter,
- 200g granulated sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- zest from 1 1/2 half oranges
- 120ml milk
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 120g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 190c?170c Fan/375 F
- Line a muffin tin with cases, or grease the tin.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until creamy and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and beat into the mixture.
- Add the orange zest and the vanilla extract and mix in.
- Add the flour, in three parts, adding the milk in between each part and stir in gently.
- Stir in the sultanas, after coating them in a little flour.
- Divide the mixture in even amounts into the muffin cases.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before moving the muffins onto a wire rack to finish the cooling.
- As they cool make some icing by mixing the orange juice and icing sugar together, until you achieve a thickened, dropping consistency.
- When the muffins are cooled drizzle some icing, in stripes, over them and allow to set before serving.