I am back from a wonderful trip to Canada to visit family. Whilst there I did some baking with my great nieces Grace and Claire. I took my camera with me so was able to film the process. We had a lot of fun making Chocolate Crinkle Cookies and Grantham Gingerbreads. Both recipes are already on the blog, but I will repeat them here so you can see how to do them.
The girls did a great job in helping me, as you can see if you watch the video below.
Although I had a great time in Canada it is good to be home so that I can try out some more recipes that are new to me. I will be posting them as I do them, but before that I will have two more Canada videos to post, one with Liam, my great nephew, and another with Grace and Claire.
- 130g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 60g cocoa powder
- 150g caster sugar
- 57g softened butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- 65g icing sugar( for rolling the dough balls)
- 2 medium eggs(large in USA)
- In a stand mixer cream the butter and caster sugar and the add the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Beat until fully combined.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder together and add to the butter mixture.
- Mix until just combined into a sticky dough.
- Refrigerate the dough for at least 3 hours to allow it to firm up.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C/350F.
- Line a couple of baking trays with parchment paper.
- Place the icing sugar into a bowl.
- Roll the dough into balls, using one level tablespoon of the mixture, and roll in the icing sugar until fully coated. Try to work quickly as the dough will warm up and become more sticky.
- Place each ball on the baking tray, leaving a gap of at least one inch between each ball.
- Bake in the oven of 10-12 minutes, the dough will spread slightly but will still be domed.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack before serving
- 112g softened butter
- 340g caster sugar
- 1 medium egg, beaten(in the USA this would be large)
- 250g self raising flour
- 1 tsp ground ginger(I think a little more would be better, up to 2 tsp)
- Preheat the oven to 150C/135c Fan/300F
- In a bowl cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy. (a stand mixer or food processor is fine for all of this recipe)
- Gradually add the beaten egg until fully combined.
- In a bowl mix the self raising flour and ground ginger together.
- Add the flour mixture into the butter mixture and beat until fully combined. (it will pull together into clumps, you can stop at that stage).
- Divide the mixture into small round balls, weighing about 25g each and place on baking trays, leaving room for them to spread somewhat during baking.(you should get 30 balls)
- Bake in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes until they have spread, and domed, with some cracks on the top, and are a light golden colour.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- They will be firm of the outside and hollow and slightly honeycombed on the inside.
- Store in an airtight container.