I had some frozen raspberries in the freezer so I decided that today I would use them to make some muffins. I found a very nice recipe on aburstfullofbeautiful which seemed to be exactly what I wanted.
Muffins, as you know, are very easy to make and require very little mixing. In fact you should only mix the wet and dry together for just as long as it takes for everything to be combined.
The recipe needs buttermilk. If you don’t have buttermilk you can use milk and add a teaspoon of white vinegar or lemon juice and leave it for 5 minutes. Or you can use 4 tablespoons of buttermilk powder added to 240ml of water.
The muffins turned out very well indeed. But then with raspberries in them that is no surprise at all. The lovely, soft, texture of the muffin with a sharp hit of raspberries was just perfect, with a nice crispy top from the coarse sugar, and all done in less that an hour from deciding to make them to ready to eat.
- 320 g plain flour
- 240ml buttermilk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 medium egg(large in USA)
- 112g melted unsalted butter, allowed to cool
- 110g soft brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g frozen raspberries
- 40g coarse sugar(I used preserving sugar)
- Preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/425F.
- Place muffin cases in a twelve hole muffin tin.
- In a large bowl whisk the butter, egg, vanilla extract and the buttermilk and mix until combined.
- In another bowl place the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar and whisk to mix together.
- Add the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Add the frozen raspberries and mix until evenly incorporated.
- Evenly distributed the mixture into the muffin cases.
- Sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon of course sugar over the tops of the filled cases.
- Bake in the oven for 5 minutes and then reduce the heat to 180C/160C Fan/350F and bake for a further 18 to 20 minutes, until a skewer poked into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and place the muffins on a wire rack to cool completely.
[…] I have lots of muffin recipes on the blog, and on my Youtube channel, such as this one for Raspberry Muffins. […]