I recently saw a recipe of a Chocolate Fudge Tart which looked very good. So I decided that I would make one, but with a couple of variants to that recipe, to suit my particular taste.
The recipe is simple and consists of a biscuit base, flavoured with cocoa powder. Then a rich, silky smooth chocolate fudge mixture is poured into it and allowed to chill until set. I also sprinkled roasted chopped hazelnuts on the top before chilling, to add another flavour and texture to the tart.
Although it takes a little while to make, most of the time is actually waiting time. When it is chilled removing it from the tart tin is quite easy and then it is time to slice and eat. What a lovely taste it has too, very good indeed.
Chocolate Fudge Tart
for the tart base:
- 150g (1 1/4 cups crumbed) of biscuits, processed to crumbs(Oat biscuits, digestives or Graham crackers are good)
- 45g(1/2 cup) cocoa powder
- 45g(1/4 cup) light brown sugar(granulated or caster sugar will be fine too)
- 80g(6 tbsp is 78g) softened or melted butter
For the chocolate fudge filling:
- 250g (9 oz)milk chocolate, chopped into pieces
- 125g (4 1/2 oz)dark chocolate, chopped into pieces
- 150g(1/2 cup + 2 tbsp) double cream, or heavy cream
- 400g(14 oz) tin of caramel(condensed milk or dulce de leche is fine too)
- pinch salt. (If the tin says 300ml that is fine it will weigh 400g).
- 25g (1/4 cup)roasted chopped hazelnuts
- Grease a 23cm(9 inch) loose bottomed tart tin on the base and sides and line the base with parchment paper.
- In a bowl place the biscuit crumbs and add the cocoa powder and sugar, then mix to combine.
- Add the butter and mix until the whole thing has formed a paste.
- Spread the biscuit paste over the base of the tart tin and up the sides, as evenly as possible.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/350 F.
- Baked the biscuit base for 10 to 12 minutes. If the sides seem to shrink use the back of a teaspoon to push some mixture back up the sides while still hot.
- Allow to cool as you make the chocolate fudge.
- Place the chocolate, cream, caramel and salt into a saucepan and heat on a low to medium, stirring, until everything has melted and come together into a thick chocolately liquid.
- Pour the mixture into the cooled tart base.
- Sprinkle chopped hazelnuts over the top.
- Place in the fridge for at least two hours, until the tart has set well.
- Remove from tart tin and slice.