I am just back from my holiday in Canada. While I was there I had the opportunity to make a couple of videos with Grace and Claire again. The first of these is this recipe for a S’mores pie which is a favourite of Grace.
So she is the star of this video as she takes us through the ingredients and then helps to make the pie. S’mores are graham cookies sandwiched together with chocolate and marshmallows. So for the pie we used a Graham cracker pie crust and filled it with a chocolate creme patissiere and topped it with marshmallow.
The recipe is quite simple, and could be made easier by using shop bought pudding or creme patissiere(chocolate flavour).
Once the creme patissiere is made and cooled it is simple to assemble the pie. I must say that it is very tasty and ours turned out very well indeed.
- Graham cracker pie crust
- Mini marshmallows to cover the top
- 150g(3/4 cup) caster sugar
- 25g(1/4 cup) cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 3 medium egg yolks(large in USA)
- 80ml(1/3 cup) milk
- 80ml(1/3 cup)double or heavy cream
- 320ml(1 1/3 cups) milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 90g(3 oz) mini chocolate chips, dark or milk
- 14g(1 tbsp)butter
- To make the chocolate creme patissiere place the egg yolks, sugar, 80ml of milk into a bowl.
- Whisk them together until all is combined.
- Over that mixture sift the cornflour, cocoa powder and salt. Then mix until all is combined, then set to one side.
- Place the remaining milk and the cream into a saucepan and heat until almost boiling.
- Gently pour a little of the hot liquid into the egg mixture, whisking all the time to avoid scrambling.
- Add the remaining hot liquid and continue whisking until combined.
- Return the whole mixture to the saucepan and heat again, whisking all the while, until it starts to thicken and then comes to the boil. Whisking is important to avoid any lumps appearing.
- When the mixture has thickened well pour into a clean bowl(you can pass the creme patissiere through a sieve if you have any lumps).
- Cover the mixture with plastic wrap, pushing that down onto the surface of the creme patissiere to ensure that a film doesn’t develop as it cools. Allow to cool completely.
- Place the cooled creme patissiere into the graham cracker pie crust and use a spatula to spread evenly over the base, giving a level top surface.
- Sprinkle mini marshmallows over the top, gently pressing down to fix to the surface.
- Place the pie under a grill/boiler and brown the top of the marshmallows a little(or you can use a kitchen blow torch if you have one).
- Place the pie into the refrigerator to cool completely. The mixture will set firm enough to cut cleanly into slices for serving.