The recipe doesn’t have many ingredients and takes very little time to make and bake. So it is well worth trying. For mine I only made a small batch, which provided enough dough for 12 decent sized cookies/biscuits. It would be very easy to double the recipe for a larger batch, but without needing to use two eggs for the wash, one will suffice quite easily.
I am very pleased with how mine turned out. They baked well and taste great with a lovely light lemon flavour and a nice crunchy outside and a softer middle. I think that more zest would be fine if you like a stronger lemon flavour. I mayI try the same biscuit base with some anise extract in to give a different flavour too.
Often with these cookies it seems that people like to put a simple sugar icing on the top, which would add extra sweetness, and that would be good but certainly isn’t necessary.
- 265g(2 cups + 1tbsp)plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 medium eggs(large in USA)
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster or granulated sugar
- 85g(6 tbsp) butter, softened or melted and cooled.
- zest from one lemon.
- 1 egg beaten, for egg wash
- extra sugar to sprinkle on top.
- Preheat the oven to 190C170C Fan/375 F.
- Line a couple of baking trays with parchment paper, or silicone mats.
- Mix the baking powder into the flour and set aside.
- In a large bowl place the sugar, butter, lemon zest and eggs and beat(I used my hand mixer) until all is combined and the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the flour mixture and mix into a dough, until all the flour is combined,without over mixing. The dough will still be sticky but workable.
- Take a small amount(just about 2 tablespoons) of the dough and roll into a sausage shape about 5 inches(13 cm) in length.
- Gently place on the baking tray and form into a ‘S’ shape. Press slightly to flatten a little.
- Repeat with the remaining dough, leaving a gap of a couple of inches between each cookie.
- Brush the tops with beaten egg and sprinkle over a little sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until the base of the cookies are nice golden brown colour.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack.
- When cooled serve and enjoy.