I wanted to make some shortbread squares and saw several recipes for some with Pecans. But the ones I saw all had a layer of caramel or some other filling between the shortbread and the pecans.
So I decided to try just to coat the pecans in enough of a stick caramel-like sauce that they would stick to the shortbread when cooled completely. I have seen something similar with peanuts and raisins on shortbread so I was fairly sure it would work.
The recipe is actually quite simple and makes 16 2 inch squares, though you can cut them as small or as large as you wish, obviously.
Just a thin layer of shortbread is all that is needed to form the base of the squares and then load on the pecans so that they are the main part of the squares.
They don’t take long to make but you do have to leave enough time for them to cool completely before removing from the cake tin, so they the topping is nice and firm.
For the base:
- 135g(1 cup+2 tsp) plain flour
- 42g(3 1/2 tbsp) caster sugar
- 63g(4 1/2 tbsp) butter, melted
- pinch of salt
- 225g( about 2 cups) pecans(halves are best)
- 80g(3/8 cup) soft light brown sugar
- 60ml(1/4 cup) golden syrup
- 50g(3 1/2 tbsp) butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Grease an 8 inch/20 cm square cake tin and line with parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/350F.
- In a medium bowl place and flour, salt and sugar and mix to combine.
- Add the melted butter and mix until you have a clumply sand like texture.
- Tip the mixture into the lined cake tin and spread over the base, evenly and then press down to compact until you have an even layer.
- Melt the butter.
- Add the brown sugar, golden syrup, salt and vanilla extract into a large bowl.
- Add the melted butter and stir until the mixture is smooth and the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the pecans and stir until they are all coated in the caramel mixture.
- Pour the mixture onto the shortbread base and spread them out so they cover the entire surface.
- Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, by which time the caramel should be bubbling around the pecans.
- Remove from the over and allow to cool completely in the tin(this will take at least an hour).
- Holding onto the overlap of parchment paper lift the square out of the tin and peel off the paper.
- Cut into 16 squared to serve.