I do like oatcakes, a fairly plain and gluten free biscuit. They are very easy to make and go so well with cheese and pickle etc. So I decided to make some, but to add a little additional flavour too as they can be a little bland.
So the addition of some grated parmesan cheese is what I opted for. That was to give a subtle cheesy flavour without overpowering the oats. You can easily vary the amount of parmesan to taste.
With very few ingredients these are quite simple to make. I made my own oatmeal, simply by processing rolled oats into a fine crumb. The recipe would also work with a combination of oatmeal and rolled oats.
Mine turned out very well indeed, just as I had hoped. They had a lovely flavour with a subtle cheese flavour coming through the oats. From start to finish the entire process took less than an hour.
- 280g(2 1/2 cups) oatmeal
- 25g(1/2 cup) finely grated parmesan
- 75ml(5 tbsp) olive oil
- pinch of salt
- Hot water for mixing.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/350F.
- Place the oatmeal into a large bowl.
- Add the salt and parmesan and mix in.
- Add the olive oil and stir in until fully combined, the texture will be crumbly.
- Add enough hot water( I used 2tbsp and 1 tsp) and mix until the mixture comes together in clumps.
- Use your hands to pull into a large mass.
- Cover and leave for 10 minutes to allow the moisture to be fully absorbed.
- Cover the work surface with more oatmeal and roll out the ball of mixture as thin as you can(I went for 1/8 in(3 cm).
- Cut out discs, using a 3in(7cm) cookie cutter and transfer to a parchment covered baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 20 to 22 minutes until cooked.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.