Who doesn’t love chocolate muffins, often with chocolate chips too. I certainly do enjoy them. So today I decided I would make some, but with the addition of some coconut flour and using coconut milk instead of buttermilk to give a different flavour.
As always with muffins these are very easy to make and take very little time. The resultant muffins are delicious, with the soft texture and with the flavour of chocolate and a slight hint of coconut too.
Although I used coconut flour it would be possible to use desiccated coconut if you don’t have the flour. Maybe just blitz the coconut a little to reduce the size of grains.
To add a little extra flavour and texture I sprinkle some shredded coconut on the top before baking. This isn’t necessary, or you could use desiccated coconut for that too.
My muffins turned out very well and tasted so good. They store well too in an airtight container, for eating over a few days.
- 230g)1 1/2 cups + 2 tsp) plain flour
- 50g(1/2 cup) coconut flour
- 200g(2/3 cup + 1 tbsp) coconut milk
- 150g(3/4 cup) caster or granulated sugar
- 2 medium eggs(large in USA)
- 15g(2 tbsp) cocoa powder
- 100g(1/2 cup) dark chocolate, melted and cooled a little
- 7g(2 tsp) baking powder
- 30g(2 tbsp) butter, melted and cooled (you could use oil)
- 2 tbsp shredded or desiccated coconut for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 170C/150C Fan/340F.
- Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Place the eggs and sugar into a large bowl and beat together(I used a hand mixer) until light and fluffy and slightly thickened.
- Add the coconut milk and the melted butter and whisk again until fully combined.
- Add the melted chocolate and mix again until all is combined.
- Sift the plain flour, baking powder and cocoa powder onto the top of the wet mixture and gently mix until all is combined.
- Sprinkle the coconut flour over the top and again mix, with a spatula, until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until they have risen and a skewer poked into the centre comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.