Thinking about what to do with some blueberries I decided that some muffins, with coconut too would be a nice treat. I do like a nice, moist, muffin and I love coconut and blueberries and think they actually go very well together. So, muffins, it was to be.
As with all muffins this is a very simple recipe, and it is quite adaptable too. For instance, I used natural yoghurt in mine, but buttermilk, sour cream or creme fraiche would all work well too.
Although I don’t eat muffins for breakfast I know that many people do like to start the day with one. I am sure this version would be perfect for breakfast. For me, though, I enjoy one with a nice cup of tea in the afternoon.
Mine turned out very well indeed. They were light and moist and had such a lovely flavour, with the sweet coconut flavour and the fruitiness of the blueberries.
- 375g(2 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 12g(3 tsp) baking powder
- 250g( 1 1/3 cups) caster sugar
- 400ml(1 2/3 cups) natural yoghurt( or creme fraiche, buttermilk, sour cream)
- 125g(9 tbsp) unsalted butter, melted and cooled a little
- 2 medium eggs(large in USA)
- 200g(1 1/2 cups) blueberries
- 50g(2/3 cup) desiccated coconut
- 1/4 tsp salt
- extra coconut for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/400F.
- Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases, or grease the cups.
- Take a little of the flour and sprinkle onto the blueberries, and then toss them to coat them all.
- In a large bowl place the flour, coconut, sugar, baking powder and salt and stir around, then set aside.
- In another bowl place the eggs, yoghurt and melted butter and whisk together until fully combined.
- Pour that wet mixture into the flour mixture and stir around until just about combined.
- Add the blueberries, and any flour in the bottom of the container holding them, and fold into the mixture until well distributed.
- Scoop the mixture into the muffin cases/cups, as evenly as possible.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until a skewer in the centre comes out clean, allowing for a little moisture if the skewer hits a blueberry.
- After a a few minutes transfer the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.