We all love a muffin and one that has no added fat is certainly a bonus for some. These apple and almond ones really hit the spot, for breakfast or just for a snack.
As I always say when making muffins today’s recipe is very simple indeed. It is for muffins made with some apple and some ground almonds. The difference with these is that, although eggs and almonds contain some fat in them, there is no butter or oil added to make these what I call fat free.
I said they are very simple to make and that it true, from start to finish this recipe shouldn’t take more than 45 minutes. The process too is very easy, blitz the apple into the eggs and sugar and then add to the dry ingredients. That’s really all there is too it.
I did add some almond extract, to enhance the almond flavour, since I like that so much. But that is really entirely optional.
Having made the mixture it just has to be scooped into 6 muffin cases and baked for about 25 minutes. Nothing could be simpler to deliver a really tasty, quite dense, muffin. These would be perfect for those who enjoy a muffin for breakfast. For me they serve as a treat in the afternoon with a cup of tea.
Mine turned out very well indeed and tasted so good.
There are lots of muffin recipes on the blog including Summer Berry Muffins.
- 100g(2/3 cpu, based on scooping packed flour into a 250ml cup) plain flour
- 60g(1/2 cup) ground almonds
- 100g( scant 1 cup) chopped apple
- 60g(1.4 cup + 2 tsp) caster sugar
- 2 medium egg(large in USA)
- 4g(1 tsp) baking powder
- 2g(1/2 tsp) baking soda
- 1 1/4 ml(1/4 tsp) almond extract(optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170C/150C Fan/340F.
- Line a muffin tin with 6 paper cases.
- Place the apple, sugar, extract and eggs into a processor and blitz until all is nicely smooth.
- Place the flour, almonds, baking powder and baking soda into a large bowl and stir around to fully combine.
- Add the wet mixture and stir until the dry ingredients are only just combined into the wet. Do not mix too much).
- Spoon the mixture equally into the 6 muffin cases.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely.