No pastry makes this Pear & Almond Tart so simple to make. It tastes great too, of course.
This recipe, for a Pear and Almond Tart, is so easy to make. It doesn’t have any pastry so it just an easy almond batter topped with pears.
Although I made mine using a pastry ring it can be done with a springform pan, with the base removed or even with the base in as long as the sides and base are lined with parchment paper.
Although the recipe below details baking times it does depend on whether time has been taken to preheat to allow a baking stone to fully heat up, or an baking tray. That heat is needed to really start the baking process with a big hit of heat right from the outset. So, if the tart isn’t fully baked using the time mentioned below just bake for a little longer, until the top is firm to the touch and a skewer comes out clean. If the edges seem to be browning too much cover them with some aluminium foil.
Mine baked very well and was fully done after 45 minutes. Then it was necessary to leave the tart to cool completely, which took at least two hours, before slicing and serving. As an extra tip I recommend baking for a little too long rather than risk not baking for long enough.
It tasted so good, with the almond extract flavour complementing the pears. This is one which is ideal served with cream, ice-cream or custard.
Lovers of almonds might like to check out my Bakewell Tart Squares as well.
Pear & Almond Tart – Video
- 165g(12 tbsp) unsalted butter, softened
- 164(3/4 + 1tbsp caster sugar
- 165(1 1/2 cups + 2 tbsp) ground almonds
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 10g(2 1/2 tsp) cornflour
- 10ml(2 tsp) vanilla extract
- 5ml(1 tsp) almond extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- flaked almonds to sprinkle over the surface
- 8 tinned pear halves, drained of juice and patted dry
- Preheat the oven, with pizza stone in place, for at least 45 minutes, to 190C/170C Fan/370F.
- Grease a 9 inch pastry ring, or springform pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, vanilla extract and almond extract and whisk to combine.
- Mix the cornflour and salt into the ground almonds.
- Add the dry mixture to to the batter and mix until fully combined.
- Place the pastry ring on a sheet of parchment paper.
- Spoon the batter into the ring and spread to level it to fill the ring.
- Carefully place the pears onto the batter in a ring with one in the middle, pressing down slightly, leaving a gap around the edge and between each pear,
- Sprinkle some flaked almonds onto the batter, between the pears.
- Bake in the oven for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the tart feels firm when pressed on the top, and until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely, for at least two hours(you can put in the fridge to help this process) before removing the ring and serving.