As autumn approaches we tend to use more apples in baking, since they are in such abundance. So this recipe, which uses just a little apple and some walnuts is ideal for a quick snack. Often with apples we use a little cinnamon, in its’ ground form, which complements the fruit so well.
Pairing the apples with some walnuts adds an additional flavour and texture to any bake. So I decided to make some squares, or bars, using both of those and, of course, a little cinnamon too.
The recipe is very simple and takes very little time to prepare and bake. In fact the longest time is waiting to turn it out after fully cooling before cutting and serving.
Although I used a 9 inch square, 23 cm square, cake pan this recipe will also work in a smaller pan, such as 8 inch/20cm square, though the baking time would need to be increased as the resultant squares would be thicker.
For my squares I also sprinkled over some sugar and cinnamon, mixed together, but I think you could also used some demerara sugar on the top which would work very well indeed.
The whole recipe, from mixing to baking takes less than an hour, plus cooling time. So you can be eating the squares in next to no time.
My squares baked perfectly, rising up a little and they were nice and chewy, particularly on the edges, with a slight caramel flavour, from the brown sugar which worked so well with the crunch of the walnuts and the sweet hit of the apple. The cinnamon gave them an extra flavour hit too.
I have other squares or bars on my blog, such as these Raspberry Bars.
Apple & Walnut SquaresCourse: Biscuits & Cookies, CakesCuisine: bakingDifficulty: Easy
125g(3/4 cup + 1 1/2 tbsp) plain flour, based on scooping packed flour into a 250ml cup.
4g(1 tsp) baking powder
1.5g (1/4 tsp) salt
0.75g(1/4 tsp) ground cinnamon
60g(1/4 cup+1 tsp) unsalted butter, melted
100g(1/2 cup) soft light brown sugar
100g(1/2 cup) caster sugar
1 medium egg (large in USA)
60g(1/2 cup) apple diced into small chunks
60g(1/2 cup) walnuts chopped quite finely
25g(2 tbsp) caster sugar
3g(1 tsp) ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/350F, and grease and line a 23 cm/9 inch square cake pan with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour, salt, baking powder and 1/4 ground cinnamon together.
- Whisk the sugar and melted butter together until combined, it will stay in clumps.
- Add the egg and whisk until everything is smooth and combined.
- Sift the flour mixture onto the wet mixture and stir in until just about combined.
- Tip the walnuts and apple onto the top and fold them in until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and spread to level across the base.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle over the top(as much or as little as you wish).
- Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until the squares have risen slightly and feel slightly springy.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before removing from the pan and cutting into squares.