A great alternative to the traditional mince pies, for Christmas, are these Christmas Flapjacks – Quick & Easy. As the title describes these are quick and easy to make.
With only a few ingredients you can create the perfect Christmas treat. Oats and mincemeat are the main ingredients. But, with the addition of glace cherries with butter and golden syrup, you can quickly create a wonderful flapjack.
Although I say these are Christmas Flapjacks they are also a great way to use up any post-Christmas leftover mincemeat.
The flapjacks are simple to make and they have such a great flavour. The addition of glace cherries, with the mincemeat, adds extra flavour and sweetness. However other ingredients could be added, such as chopped nuts. The healthy oats are such a great way of creating a a sweet treat. Particularly with the inclusion of the Christmas flavours.
Of course everyone tends to be so busy at Christmas time. But that is just another reason that these are good to make, as they take virtually no time. Indeed, 10 minutes preparation and 25 minutes baking produces a wonderful Christmas bake. The flapjacks keep well so they can also be bagged to be given as little gifts. Of course, that pre-supposes that there are some left as they are so easy to eat.
If you wish to make them more fancy you can pipe chocolate on the top of the flapjacks. Not only that, but you can intensify the flavour combination by including some citrus zest. They keep well, too, if stored in an airtight container. You can adapt the recipe to include your own favourites. I like to keep everything simple. So this version is perfect for me.
Another quick Christmas recipe is Pecan Tassies -Quick & Easy.
Christmas Flapjacks – Quick & EasyCourse: Biscuits & Cookies, ChristmasCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Easy
325g(1 cup + 2 tbsp) mincemeat
160g(3/4 cup) glace cherries, chopped into quarters
120g(1 stick + 1/2 tbsp) butter
95g(1/3 cup minus 2 tsp) golden syrup, (or corn syrup, maple syrup, honey)
360g(4 1/2 cups) rolled oats
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/350F.
- Line an 8 inch (20 cm) square cake pan with parchment paper.
- Place the butter, mincemeat, cherries and golden syrup into a saucepan and place on the stove on a medium heat, stirring until everything is melted and fully combined.
- Place the oats into a large bowl and then add the melted mixture.
- Stir everything together until the oats are fully coated and everything is well combined.
- Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly across the base.
- Use a spoon, or something similar. to press the mixture firmly onto the base of the pan.
- Bake the flapjacks for 25 to 30 minutes, until the edges begin to turn a darker colour, and dry out.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow the flapjacks to cool before removing from the pan.
- Cut the flapjacks into 16 squares, or your preferred size.