This Golden Syrup Loaf Cake is such a simple recipe. It is easy to make and just as easy to eat. The main ingredient is, of course, golden syrup. That is readily available here in the UK. But it is not easy to find in some countries. Or it is very expensive in some countries. But that isn’t a problem. It is actually very simple to make golden syrup. There are several Youtube videos showing how to do so.
But, if you don’t have time for doing that a good substitute is corn syrup.
For my loaf cake I decided to add some mixed spice. That provides just an extra flavour to an already great tasting cake. That is optional. Another optional ingredient would be some finely grated lemon zest. That might work very well, particularly if using corn syrup which doesn’t have the same flavour as golden syrup.
As I mentioned the recipe is very simple. The syrup, butter and sugar are melted and cooled a little. Then combine and sift the dry ingredients. Mix together the egg and milk. The simple combine all the ingredients in a large bowl. Pour the loose batter into a lined loaf pan. Then it is time to bake the cake.
During baking the cake may split along the top. That is quite normal for loaf cakes.
My cake baked perfectly in exactly one hour. I didn’t have a split top. That may be due to the relatively low oven temperature.
I allowed the cake to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Then I transferred it to a wire rack. After cooling completely I sliced the cake. It was lovely and moist and had such a great taste. The spice completmented the richness of the sweet golden syrup.
This cake is ideal served with a cup of tea. But it is also great as a dessert, with custard or ice cream.
Another very easy loaf cake is Madeira Cake – Easy Baking.
Golden Syrup Loaf CakeCourse: Cakes, DessertsCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Easy
200g(1 1/3 cups, based on scooping packed flour into a 250ml cup) plain flour
8g(2 tsp) baking powder
100g(1/2 cup) golden caster sugar(or caster/granualated sugar)
100g(7 tbsp) unsalted butter, cubed
200g(10 tbsp) golden syrup
150ml(1/2 cup+2tbsp) milk
1 medium egg(large in USA)
3g(1 tsp) mixed spice(optional)
pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 160C/140C Fan/320F
- Grease and line a 2lb/900g loaf pan.
- Place the butter, sugar and golden syrup into a saucepan and heat, stirring, until everything is melted and combined.
- Set the hot mixture aside to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Place the baking powder, salt and mixed spice onto the flour and give it a quick stir.
- Sift the flour mixture into a large bowl.
- Beat the egg into the milk to combine.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in the cooled mixture and the milk/egg.
- Whisk everything together until the batter is smooth, showing no lumps.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan.
- Bake in the oven for about 1 hour, until the cake has risen and a skewer poked into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes, then transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool completely.