I often have requests for some gluten free baking recipes. This recipe for almond brownies is just that. It uses almond flour/ground almonds instead of wheat flour. However that doesn’t mean that these are inferior in any way. They are full flavour and have a great texture too.
I actually found the recipe on the back of a bag of Kirkland Almond Flour, which is available in Costco. Ground almonds, readily available in supermarkets, will work just as well.
The recipe is very simple indeed. It can be varied too, for other flavourings, if desired. I decided to stick closely to the recipe I found. So that meant ,almond flour, sugar, almond milk, cocoa powder, choolate chips and some chopped almonds. The recipe called for chopped whole natural almonds, but, since I don’t like the skin, I decided to chop some flaked almonds instead.
The recipe calls for almond milk/drink, though cows milk would be fine too. Any plant based milk would be fine too.
Having assembled the ingredients it was simple to mix all the wet together and then all the dry. Then they just had to be combined and placed into a lined cake pan for baking. The baking time is only 30 to 35 minutes.
The volume of ingredients, combined with the use of almond flour instead of wheat flour, meant that the brownies would not be as thick as the more traditional ones. But that really didn’t matter in the least. In fact the thinner brownies were, for my taste, preferable.
I baked my brownies for 34 minutes. They did rise a little in the oven. The top firmed up nicely too. I left them to cool down before cutting into squares. Then I had a taste. The texture was just perfect with the softness of traditional brownies. They had the crunch of almonds too. The flavour was exactly as I hoped, rich in chocolate.
They were very good indeed.
Another gluten free recipe is Orange & Almond Cake.
Almond Brownies – Gluten FreeCourse: Biscuits, CookiesDifficulty: Easy
28g(2 tbsp) softened unsalted butter
100g(1/2 cup) light brown sugar
60ml(1/4 cup) almond milk/drink ( can use milk or other plant drinks)
5ml(1 tsp) vanilla extract
100g(1 cup) almond flour/ground almonds
25g(1/4 cup) cocoa powder
25g(1/4 cup) chopped almonds
50g(1/4 cup) dark/semi sweet chocolate chips
4g(1 tsp) baking powder
1.5g(1/4 tsp) salt
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Grease and line an 8 inch/20cm square cake pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar together, in a large bowl.
- Add the egg and whisk to combine
- Add the almond milk and vanilla and whisk again.
- Mix the cocoa powder, baking powder and salt into the almond flour.
- Tip the dry mix onto the wet mixture and fold it in until just combined.
- Add the chopped almonds and chocolate chips and stir until they are combined.
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared pan and spread over the base until covered, and level.
- Bake in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until the top is set.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the pan for a while before slicing and serving.