These Aubergine Pizza Bites – Quick Snacks, or Eggplant Pizza Bites are perfect for snacking. Little discs of roasted aubergine topped with tomato and cheese. Then they are drizzled with a basil and garlic dressing. Used as an hors d’oeuvre, appetiser, starter or just as a snack they are perfect. They taste so good that they are difficult to resist.
This recipe, though, uses baby aubergines cut into small discs to make mini pizza-like treats. Salting the discs for a while extracts excess liquid. Roast the discs, after lightly brushing with olive oil.
Then it is time to assemble the aubergine pizzas. For that we use slices of cherry tomato and grated parmesan. Grill(broil) the discs for about 2 minutes. The final step is some basil/garlic dressing drizzled on the top.
How simple is that? Of course the toppings can be varied. But I think it is best to keep things simple.
The dressing is easy to make, just blend olive oil with fresh basil leaves and chopped garlic. Store excess dressing in the fridge. Use that for salads or pasta.
My Aubergine Pizzas
I followed the process above, baking the discs for 10 minutes. Then I assembled and grilled the aubergine pizzas, for two minutes. I left them for a few minutes and then drizzled the dressing, lightly, over the top.
Then I tasted the aubergine pizza bites. What a wonderful explosion of flavours in the mouth. The dressing was amazing and combined so well with tomato and mozzarella. The aubergine had just the slightest bite too. I am them warm and, later, reheated some in the microwave for another snack.
These are something I shall make time and again.
Another lovely savoury recipe is Cream Of Mushroom Soup.
Aubergine Pizza Bites – Quick SnacksCourse: Recipes, Stove top recipesDifficulty: Easy
125ml(1/2 cup+1 tsp) extra virgin olive oil
10g(about 1/2 cup) fresh basil leaves
6g(1 tsp) chopped garlic
700g(25 oz) baby aubergines, sliced into 1/3 inch slices(.85cm)
100g(3 1/2 oz) cherry tomatoes, sliced
112g(4 oz) grated mozzarella
6g(1 tsp) salt
1g(1/2 tsp) freshly ground black pepper
15ml(1 tbsp) olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/390F.
- Line a couple of baking trays with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the salt over the aubergine slices and toss them to distribute the salt, then set aside for 10 minutes.
- Place the 125ml e.v. olive oil into a jug and add the basil and garlic then blend with an immersion blender, or similar, until smooth.
- Pat the aubergine slice dry and lightly brush oil over the top and bottom and place the slices on the baking trays.
- Roast the slices for ten minutes, until they are cooked through.
- Remove the slice from the oven and top with cherry tomato slices and grated parmesan.
- Turn on the grill/broiler and grill the topped slices for 2 minutes, or so, until the cheese is bubbling and just beginning to brown.
- Remove the trays from the grill and leave for a few minutes then drizzle a little of the dressing onto the top of each slice. These are best served warm.