Flapjacks Mini Bites

Rate this recipe

This recipe is for Flapjacks Mini Bites. I have based it on some delicious mini bites that I bought in Marks & Spencer. Their ‘all butter’ mini bites are fantastic. I thought it would be good to try to reproduce them at home.

Luckily, the ingredients listed on the container gave percentages for oats, butter, and golden syrup. So using those, I also estimated percentages for the remaining ingredients. The ingredients list is quite short. Oats, butter, and golden syrup, as already mentioned, and then condensed milk, demerara sugar, and salt. As the oats, butter, and sugar amount to 73% of the total, that leaves 27% for the condensed milk, demerara sugar, and the salt. I estimated those amounts, using more condensed milk than demerara sugar. I was able to see, from the nutritional information, the amount of salt. But I actually reduced that amount for my flapjacks.

Flapjack Mini Bites

Process for Flapjacks Mini Bites

The process for making flapjacks is very simple. Melt all the ingredients except for the oats together. Blitz some, or all, of the oats to a finer consistency. Then stir the oats into the saucepan until fully combined with the other ingredients. After that, put the mixture into a lined pan and level it out. Then the flapjacks can go into the oven for baking. The baking time is about 25 minutes. After baking, leave them to cool for about 10 minutes. Score the top with lines to show where to cut them. Let them cool further before transferring to a wire rack. Cut the flapjacks into pieces. Then they are ready to eat and enjoy.

My Mini Bites

Flapjacks Mini Bites

Since these are mini bites, the pieces are quite small, about 1 1/4 inch squares. My flapjacks mini bites baked for 25 minutes. Once scored and cut, I allowed them to cool fully, and I had a taste. The lovely buttery and sweet taste was perfect. They had the great texture of the oats and the sweetness from the syrup, sugar, and condensed milk. This version will be added to my regular bakes. Although I already have flapjack recipes, this one is, possibly, even better.

The cost of the ingredients for my flapjacks works out at just under £4.50. The recipe makes the equivalent of just under 4 of the M&S version, which cost £3.50 each. So you can see making your own is a big saving.

Another great flapjack recipe is Flapjacks – A Tasty Oat Traybake.

Flapjacks Mini Bites

Recipe by geoffcooCourse: Biscuits, CookiesCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Easy
Servings

4

servings
Prep time

30

minutes
Cooking time

40

minutes

Ingredients

  • 500g(5 cups) rolled oats

  • 225g(1 cups) unsalted butter

  • 187g(9 1/2 tbsp) golden syrup

  • 200g(1/2 cup) condensed milk

  • 137g(2/3 cup+1tsp) Demerara sugar

  • 3g(1/2 tsp) salt

Directions

  • Put about 1/2 the oats into a processor and blitz them to a much finer consistency. Then add back into the remaining oats.
  • Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/350F.
  • Grease and line a 13×9 inch(32×23 cm) pan
  • Place the butter, sugar, syrup, condensed milk and salt into a large saucepan and heat, stirring, until everything has melted together into a small liquid.
  • Tip the oats into the saucepan and stir until fully combined with the liquid.
  • Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and spread over the base, levelling on the top.
  • Bake the flapjacks for 25 minutes, until cooked without the top colouring much.
  • Leave the flapjacks in the pan for at least 10 minutes, then carefully remove to a wire rack, still on the lining paper.
  • Use a serrated knife to carefully score the top with lines about 1 1/4 inches(just over 3 cm) to create squares of that size.
  • Allow the flapjacks to cool then cut into the scored squares.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *